- Create and maintain foot trails and multi-use paths in the Town of Victor.
- Promote a meaningful relationship with nature.
- Promote individual responsibility for protecting the environment.
- Provide recreational activity through walking, biking, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing.
- Provide education to the public through nature interpretation, historical information and proper use of trails.
- Promote good relationships with all people (landowners, government officials, adjacent townships, and trail users).
- Trails of various terrain, landforms, views and habitats for various plant and animal species.
- Trails in various geographic sections of the Town of Victor with access by as many residents as possible.
- Trails of various lengths and difficulties.
- Trails for foot traffic and paths for multi-use including bikes.
We the People:
Involved in Victor Hiking Trails are kindred spirits. People who care about the land on which they live. People who enjoy nature in all its bounty. People who want to improve their town and leave something that will add value to our lives. People like you. We welcome you among us. We meet on the third Thursday of each month at 7:30 PM in the Victor Town Hall at 85 East Main Street. Meetings are informal and everyone is welcome. Please try to join us, you can get to know us better. We have regularly scheduled work parties for clearing and maintaining the trail system. Please see the calendar.
are people who:
- Enjoy nature.
- Care about the land.
- Want to improve Victor.
- Hikes - Second Saturday each month, two weekends each year, and a National Trails Day Special.
- Maintenance - Usually Monday evening, Wednesday evening, and Friday morning each week. All are welcome. We use our own power tools and hand tools of ours or the volunteers. Gloves, seeing and hearing protectionion is advized and available.
- Meetings - Third Thursday each month 7:00 p.m. at Victor Town Hall.
See the Calendar of Activities
Saturday and Weekend Hikes
Usually on the second Saturday of each month we gather at 9:00 AM for a 2 to 3 hour hike, for local hikes; bring lunch for more distant destinations. Each June we sponsor a family hike in Victor on National Trails Day, and include a light breakfast and pizza lunch. Many years in the Spring and Fall we have a weekend in the Adirondacks. For the location of future hikes watch the newsletter, call one of the officers for detailed information, or see VHT's On-line Calendar. Please join us.... it's a great way to meet the members. Here is the list of past and future hike destinations. And here the map
How You Can Help
- We need assistance in a myriad of areas. Join us at a meeting and volunteer your services. Some of the needs (but by no means all) that we have are:
- lead hikes
- draw maps
- measure trail lengths
- make and install signs
- build trails, bridges and boardwalks
- build map boxes
- identify trees, flowers and birds (Monkey Run, example)
- take photos
- write articles for our newsletter and the Town newsletter
- collect donated items
- work on a committee
- recruit new members
- work on a fund raiser
- scout possible trail locations
- help with paperwork
- make phone calls
- We'll create more opportunities as we grow.
Maybe you can provide a skill or interest we need but haven't even thought of yet.
You will be surprised how skilled you are.
Join us and put your talents and interests to work.